A week ago I finished the rough drafts for John Churchmouse (very rough, but workable enough to proceed towards more finished art). Then I went out of town and, now back, am ready to advance. Despite the approaching term (which means back to intern work) and corresponding preparations, I can still squeeze some storybuilding into the schedule. =)
Summary of summer projects’ progress:
Completed first draft of The Antiquary libretto
Revised libretto several times to arrive at current and final draft (with obligato perpetual tweaking)
Revised and formatted Terry Treble Writes Rhythm, with subsequent edits to it and Terry Treble & Letter H Write Rhythm
Revised John Churchmouse text (final form)
Completed rough drafts for JC spreads
Thumbnails & other exploratory sketches for Cartage
Today is one of those exceptionally frequent days when Largo al factotum is my theme song: errands, business correspondence & coordination, queries, writing assistance, cleaning work, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. (May I present His Majesty, The King of Siam.) These sorts of days are especially frequent while at Principia; the Principia multi-departmental pull will recommence in a month or so.
Several checkpoints have been passed:
John Churchmouse has come ’round the circle of fifths — the text is complete (as of the 10th); rough drafts have begun.
Meeting this Monday to determine details about launching Terry Treble Music Adventures
Largo al factotum! After trimming & cutting, a third draft of The Antiquary is ready for what may be the last read-through. (By the way, there is a barber who is somewhat a factotum in The Antiquary; his name is Caxon, not Figaro.)
Ordered test samples of a new note card, “Tulip Trio.” (I considered calling it “Threelips,” but that is neither melodious nor attractive.)
In other thrilling news, my Rise of the Guardians art book arrived today! Magnificent work — an inspiration to any storybuilder.
It’s not until I talk to people about my projects that I realize how ambitious some of them are. For instance, the other day I tried to summarize — you see here that the key word is “tried,” which in this case really means to explain every element and how each came about — the poetical form I had developed. After about a quarter-hour, dear Gretchen told me it sounded like a perfect project for earning an MFA. (That was about a month ago.) There is some small irony that I have required myself to develop a thoroughly complicated poetical form about a thoroughly simple musical mouse.
Thus it multiplies my joy to have completed (on Wednesday) a very solid, nearly final draft of the poem — only a little editing required. Hallelujah!
(Click to make mouse materialize on megascreen.)
In other news, I designed a shell “Just Married” sign for two friends; wedding, Terry Treble books 1 & 2 are approaching launch, The Antiquary is much shorter (by 90 pages, but could still use a trim after I actualize some arias), and watercolors are under way.